Search This Blog

Sunday, May 06, 2007

When Tools Masquerade as Life


This small dragonfly clip was holding a scraggly clove basil (Ocimum gratissimum) plant to its tiny bamboo stake when I bought the plant at a Green Scene long ago. In the ensuing years the basil has grown a lot, only to be beaten back this past winter by frost. The best course to take with frost bitten plants is to leave them be and see if signs of green emerge. This basil came back for the most part, with one major stem that did not regrow. When I clipped the dead stem off, this clip was on it. The plant no longer needs support, but I left the clip among the fragrant leaves as a reminder of how small the plant once was and how glad I am it survived the freeze of '07. Oh, and because I like whimsical garden ornament things that look like bugs.

No comments: