Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008

Seed bugs
























Although I couldn't find confirmation these white-crossed seed bugs of the species Neacoryphus bicrucis range into California, it's hard to believe these aren't those. They look like 'em (but differences among bugs can be subtle) and they feed and breed like 'em: Food plant is said to be ragwort, no scientific name given, and they mate on ragwort, too. The plant genus senecio is synonymous with ragwort; here the bugs are seen mating and just hanging out (preparing to feed, maybe?) on my senecio cineraria, also known as dusty miller in my locale and others call silver ragwort. This plant is commonly grown as an ornamental bedding plant around here, often removed before it has a chance to grow flower spikes and clusters of small yellow daisies.

1 comment:

Marvin said...

Evidently Neacoryphus bicrucis must range into California because you also posted a photo of one on January 22, 2007.

Whitecrossed Seed Bugs also range into the Arkansas Ozarks where I photographed one (on an ox-eye daisy) on May 20. After finding an ID on BugGuide, I was Googling for some general life cycle information (without much success) -- and that's how I found your two posts. You've got the most information I've found thus far. Thanks for that.

Your blog looks very interesting and somewhat similar to mine. I do mostly insects and wildflowers of the Ozarks. There are probably many species that we do not share, but I enjoy insect macros, nonetheless.

Keep up the good work.

Marvin @ Nature in the Ozarks