Search This Blog

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lizard Things



















There are a lot of lizards in the garden this summer. I was trimming back the nutmeg basil so other plants could have a chance at some sun, and at the point where I was in the pruning zone--a zen-like state of one-ness with the objective of the pruning process--when I was startled back into myself by an eye looking out of the shrub directly into my eye. The other eye belonged to a lizard that had climbed 2/3 of the way up the basil and was resting on a branch. This most likely is a Southern alligator lizard which are said to readily climb vegetation. In fact, I most frequently find their nearly intact skin sheds up inside shrubs and larger perennials.

Another task at hand--clearing the holes in the fly traps--required a stick. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a serviceable stick but when I reached for it, it had turned out to be a lizard tail. I guess in my mind's eye I saw the stick, but decided the tail was a better size or shape and so my hand was directed to the tail. Ew.


















Anyway, fly traps and lizards are well and functioning. Flies beware.

No comments: