Search This Blog

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saving the Salamander



















I noticed this salamander (I think its a garden slender salamander, Batrachoseps major, or closely related) in the dog's water bowl. It was active, walking/paddling around the bottom edge either investigating its reflection or looking for a way out. If my ID is anything like correct (and my previous observations of these little guys unclouded) this is of course a terrestrial salamander that lays its eggs on land, so its plunge into the deeps would seem to be accidental. It didn't seem to be in physical distress by being submerged, but possibly that was because it hadn't been under very long. How do salamanders breathe; through their skin? As I watched it was clear the salamander wouldn't be able to escape by climbing the steep slippery stainless steel sides of the bowl, so I bailed the poor thing out.

It seemed appreciative in a cold blooded way, and froze for a photo before scuttling off under something juicy.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I have those around my house. Yes, they are lungless. They breathe through their skin. And they will drown if they can't get out of the water, kind of like earthworms. I'm glad you were able to rescue yours. Here are some pictures of them on Bug Safari.

(Sorry for the deleted comment. Bad proof reading on my part.)

Anonymous said...

wery nice

Anonymous said...

Thank You