Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Garden as Stage Dressing



















People have wondered whether I pose insects on plants or other objects to get more interesting photos. No, I'm not really that close to the bugs and I would not presume such liberties with a wild (stinging) creature. I just take a heck of a lot of photos and get lucky from time to time. OK maybe I'm guilty of an occasional manipulation, but bugs actually do the darnedest things all on their own and I make every effort to ensure no bugs are harmed in the filming of this blog.

I admit, however, I actively seek out photogenic-ness in plants I'm thinking about putting in my garden, and so set the stage for more appealing pictures. This borage is being visited by a honeybee, Apis mellifera. It's an annual that will naturalize (read: possibly invasive); it's kind of coarse and gangly; it's edible though how with all those bristles I don't know; it's seeds are rich in GLA; and it's photogenic.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

That is one heck of a gorgeous photo.

Lori said...

your photos are gorgeous!