Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Moths are Attracted to Light













I found this moth carcass in the dusty space between the keyboard and monitor on my office desk. Sometimes the office door is left open after dusk after I go home for the evening, and the monitor emits an attractive glow for awhile. This photo is displayed on my desktop there; possibly the last thing this moth saw was an image of a dead butterfly.

This specimen was dessicated and the antennae were damaged; still I'd guess it is likely to be Helicoverpa zea (corn earworm moth) or maybe Mythimna unipuncta (armyworm moth), both common moths that bear resemblance to this one, and likely to be attracted to the light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live across from a corn field, and we've had this same moth cover our security light pole in the backyard, and they are getting in the house at night. Is there anything to repel them, since moving would not be a realistic option?