Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bloom Day: Faded + Hopeful Make Hay while the Sun Shines


So it's August and autumn really is just around the corner. You can feel the changes coming even as the beads of sweat gather on your forehead and roll down into your eyes, stinging and causing them to water a little bit.

My daughter bought herself this tomato plant from a guy who grows all sorts of veggies and perennials here locally and sells 'em out of his driveway. Really healthy plants. I'm happy to have inspired my offspring to garden. Her tomato flowers look very hopeful and promising; I'm sure there's enough summer left to bring forth fruit.

















A month or so ago I plucked a few gangly shasta daisy stems and stuck them in a vase on the kitchen window sill. They slowly dried there in the summer air, as have rudbeckias, roses, gaillardia and many other blooms in seasons past. I find the dried flowers pretty in a mournful, faded, late summer kind of way.

This morning I noticed in a surprised way that one of the leaves has been skeletonized; there is a geometrid caterpillar working on this old dried up plant. I do remember reading something about monarch caterpillar feed being made from dried milkweed so it's not a huge surprise to find this. Just weird to think of caterpillars chewing on what is essentially hay.

No comments: