Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2009

Eggses























1. These are katydid eggs laid on one of my mom's camellia bushes. As is obvious these eggs are laid on top of the stem, unlike those of the forktailed bush katydid, Scudderia furcata, the katydid common in my garden. Those are inserted into the plant tissue at the leaf's margin as seen in a great photo of a female ovipositing, about 1/2 way down this page found on Natural History of Orange County. I saw a tiny nymph, and it looks like one egg has hatched, but it hopped off and/or blended into the shrubbery before I got a good look.











2. Eggs of corn earworm, helicoverpa zea, freshly laid on the buds of my salmon flowered pelargonium. I don't like this flower nearly enough to begrudge the caterpillars some of the flowers.

No comments: