Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Some Flowers for October: part 3























Another reason to always grow rudbeckia hirta are the amazing dried flowers.  These two have dried on the plant with no additional effort required; just go out in the yard this time of year and cut great looking blooms in full senescence for your harvest-time arrangements.  I suppose if I picked the flowers when they were in full bloom and dried them in a protected area maybe they would be prettier.  But that sounds like work, and I like the naturally decrepit look of these field grown daisies way past their prime, which one was like this:

I grew some red rudbeckia this year; I have gathered a bunch of dry ones which are nearly black and will make a suitable arrangement for a ghoulish feast later this month.

No comments: