Search This Blog

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Assassin Bug Eggs
















Back in summer, I saw a female leafhopper assassin bug (Zelus renardii) cruising among the milkweed, and obviously full of eggs.











Then I found this bunch of eggs on the underside of a milkweed leaf.  The temporal and physical proximities suggested these were assassin bug eggs, plus these eggs didn't look like other insect eggs I had already found and identified.  A bit of internet research indicated these are assassin bug eggs.











I kept checking on these eggs and one day actual observation confirmed the virtual evidence when I saw tiny assassin bugs were pouring out of the eggs.  They looked a lot like mantises hatching, except a lot smaller.  A day later they looked like this:

Now my photos join the body of virtual evidence in the circle of helpful electrons hoping to validate, identify or illuminate reality.

No comments: