Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Island Heat





Can you believe this heat in the middle of April? It's the buzz around town, with our neighboring city of Santa Ana posting a record breaking 103 yesterday. Actually, I can remember a similar heat spell last April, maybe not quite as hot but very close to the same time. It was 7 days later in April 2008 when I sat out in the driveway on a sweat-dripping hot Saturday in the small pool of shade under the blooming melaleuca linarifolia and noticed what a bug magnet that tree can be.

This past Sunday, April 19 2009, found the tree about 1/4 in bloom with plenty more buds set to open soon. I haven't had time to just sit under the tree observing (yet) but I did notice this mourning cloak, nymphalis antiopa, and lots of honeybees feeding among the flowers.





The forecast is for a cooling trend. I'll see how that effects the bloom and the attendant bugs on my tree island.

1 comment:

Gardenqueen said...

I'm always happy to see the mourning cloak in our area. They were very common when I was a kid, but I have seen only a handful as an adult.