Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

More Mantis Mania



















It was hot and sticky and I was feeling crazy and left the sprinkler running in the back 40 for hours.  When I went back and turned it off, the finches were having a noisy party in the tecomara hedge . . . and this wet mantis had climbed out of the foliage to glisten in the sun.

Yet another color variation in Stagmomantis californica, this pale tan adult female is really similar in hue to the metal plant support she's hanging on.







I found this oothecum among the eriogonum giganteum flowers . . .

no way to be sure but certainly possible this drippy beauty is the mother of the eggs inside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I love about mantisses (manti?) is that they turn their heads to watch me with those beady little eyes, tho it also makes me very glad I'm not a tiny green thing.
Cynthia

sparrow/sail said...

Love your bug pictures...even used one in a presentation on plant defense against herbivory! Keep up the good work! Lots of pretty bugs for the world to see...